Aboard the ill-fated RMS Titanic, an aristocratic lady falls for a young, poor artist.
- Rose DeWitt Bukater: is the female protagonist of the movie. She is a 17 years old first class passenger on the Titanic. Rose is engaged to Caledon Hockley, Cal, in order to remain in the upper class world, as her family is secretly in debt. She hates the aristocratic world and feels repressed be it.
- Jack Dawson: third class passenger and skilled artist, he wins the tickets to Titanic last minute during a poker game. He is constantly traveling and doesn’t seem to have a set home or life plan. Jack meets Rose when he saves her from committing suicide.
- Ruth DeWitt Bukater: Rose’s mother, she actively advocates for the marriage of Cal and Rose. She is portrayed as snobbish and is seen actively looking down on her poorer counterparts.
- Caledon Hockley: Rose’s fiancee and a very rich but cruel man.
- Molly Brown: A rich woman on board, who is referred to as “new money” as she came about her money late in life after literally striking gold.